My Way of Coping with Motherhood


Wednesday 7 December 2011

What Have You Done for YOURSELF This Week?

A friend once told me that in her mother's group, they were asked to go around the room to let each other know what activity/ies they had done for themselves that particular week. Most people had mentioned things like 'taking a long shower', 'taking their time on the toilet', and 'read one chapter of a book'. However for that particular week, she boasted that she went to a footy game. Everyone was jealous! Since then, I've always thought, why don't I take time out to do at least 1 thing for myself every week.

Well, this week I did 3 things, all in one afternoon! After I dropped off my little man with my in-laws, I went to get an hour long massage, I then bought myself some tabouli and a drink and sat in the park to eat, and finally, I went to the local library and read some of their newest magazines. I didn't even realise at the time that the library subscribes to an array of magazines!

So now I'll be thinking of something else to do for next week!

What have you done this week for yourself?

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!
    I am a huge believer in mums doing things for themselves - in fact, I think it's not a luxury, but a necessity!
    I relocated to Finland with my family a year and a half ago, and for most of that time I've been at home with my two small children. Yesterday, I took a huge "all about me" step and signed up for four months of intensive Finnish language classes, starting next month! Maybe it's geeky to be so excited about studying something, but I am so looking forward to this new challenge.
    Oh, and something more decadent I did for myself this week - one morning, while my kids were at daycare, I went for a coffee. As I was about to order, I realised that what I really felt like was an ice cream, so I went for it, and there I sat, at 9am, eating a delicious scoop of caramel swirl, and enjoying every last luscious mouthful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I feel so strongly about 'me time' that I wrote a post about it on my own blog - check it out if you are interested!
    http://theheadspaceblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/essential-nature-of-oxygen.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katriina,

    Thanks for the comments! My 1st comments, woohoo :)

    If we don't do things for ourselves, I think we will probably just go mad! And I fully understand about you studying Finnish - I recently studied Beginners French just for the hell of it. It was great to get out of the house and geek it up! I would practice on EVERYONE and they all thought I was crazy. I loved it though and it showed!

    I will head over to your blog now. After I stop dreaming about ice creams lol

    ReplyDelete